Sunday, April 15, 2007

Codex Alera

As I've said before I'm a big fan of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books, so I recently got around to reading the first book in a fantasy trilogy he did, the Codex Alera. The book's called Calderon's Fury and it's very good; not high fantasy exactly, no elves or dragons or so on, but a similar kind of thing, and set in a magic-ified version of something half Roman and half Germanic tribes, which is refreshingly different from the standard. The magic system is nice and original too. It reminded me a bit of A Game of Thrones--the only George RR Martin I ever read, since I frankly didn't like it, but this has some of the same feel while being much less full of itself and annoying. The only problem I had with the book was that the big twist Jim obviously plans to unveil in the last book is hugely obvious. I really hope Butcher is trying to fake the reader out, because otherwise it's just way too easy.

It’s my business to know what is and what’s not

1 comment:

angelo said...

I saw where things were heading at the end but I must say that the introduction of characters and plot lines in the second book took the series in a direction I was not too certain about. It all becomes very clear during book 4 but half the fun is seeing the ingenuity of getting out of impossible situations.