Sunday, June 19, 2005

The South is attempting to rise again...in math class.

I had a school trip to the DC area last week...a bunch of mainly inconsequential stuff happened...but what I'm posting about is that one whole day was spent in Gettysburg, since my class has been studying the Civil War recently. While we were there, as part of all the normal tour stuff one would expect, we went through a gift store where many of my classmates, including some I generally consider to be pretty groovy people, bought assorted knick-knacks and memorabilia featuring Confederate flags. Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't have been allowed to have these, or anything--I support free speech rather more than the average guy, I think--but I'm just wondering why the heck you'd ever want to. Think about it--this is the flag waved by people who wanted to break away from their parent nation, not for some admirable reason like oppression or unjust laws, but mainly because they didn't like them and also because of SLAVERY. It's a symbol of that, a symbol of racism and hate and injustice. These people are strolling out of General Pickett's Gift Shoppe waving a something that's basically on par with a fricking swastika. And yes, I'm well aware that the swastika was originally some sort of religious symbol for an ethnicity other than German--that doesn't change what it symbolizes now, which is anti-Semitism and and evil regime.

No comments: